Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Transition Meeting

Today we had a transition meeting from Firststeps to Early Childhood Education Center at the school district. Since Brooklynn turns 3 in March, Firststeps can not provide services after that time. So I met with the school district to learn more about it. Boy, am I overwhelmed! It was very emotion sitting in the meeting, and honestly I was not expecting that at all. The thing that hit me was the terminology "special education". I knew Brooklynn has been needing therapies to improve her speech and her ability to play and transition. I even knew that were some quirky behaviors she has that may or may not mean anything. And than you add those things to her new diagnosis, and my mind and heart just felt so many different things. This meeting was intended to just get information. The speech therapist, the special therapist (aka "behavior/play" therapist), the FirstSteps coordinator, and the Early Childhood Center Coordinator were sitting at this table. We discussed where Brooklynn is now. We discussed her improvements, and things we still are continuing to work on. We discussed her diagnosis, and what it could mean developmentally and intellectually. We discussed how her sessions have been going. And I started processing some things I have not. Such as her hypotonia issues in her upper torso, and how these are truly starting to effect her development. She is having a hard to grasping objects to be able to things with them (such as a fork, spoon, crayon). We are working on her strength, and her ability to interact with others. It was decided I will meet again in the end of November. I will give permission to start the testing process at this time. The testing includes evaluating her eligibility based on her development in physical, cognitive, communication, social/emotional, or adaptive. We will also fill out an Autism Spectrum Disorder questionnaire. I am nervous. I am scared. I am half thinking that all of these will be fine. I am half expecting to get blindsided by something that I was not expecting. She has to prove that she falls 1.5 standard deviations in 2 or more areas of development, or 2 standard deviations below one area of development to be accepted into this program. There are different levels. There is just appointments with therapists (speech, social, etc). This usually is if a kid only needs an hour or up to 3 hours of services if we choose. There is also the preschool program, which is where they can either integrate her therapies into her classroom, or pull her out of the classroom to accomplish her therapies. There is also the special education education, which would be if they needed more than 3 hours of therapy sessions, and are having trouble mainstreaming with the other children. Right now, I don't know which part we will qualify for, if we qualify at all. I don't know what their assessments are going to bring up. I don't know where we will stand and what services will need to be provided. If she gets accepted into the preschool, it is usually 4 half days a week. If she shows that she will regress during the summer months, there is the potential to have summer time sessions as well. I am not sure how to feel. I look at Brooklynn, and she is such a loving and fun little girl. She is super intelligent, and can really do some things I am in awe of. I know that i shouldn't think one way or another. I felt like after the meeting, it seemed that we will probably be accepted for one service or another. I am anxious to get this process started, but I know it really doesn't matter how long this all takes as we won't even start any of this until she turns 3. First steps has been amazing, so I am going to be sad to transition away from them. They have helped Brooklynn in so many ways. They have helped me change as a parent so that I can meet her needs. The Early Childhood Center looks amazing. The services they could provide are astounding. The thought that she would even need these services, a little nerve racking. I never thought I would raise a child who had special needs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that - I will take that on full force and I am willing to do whatever I need to provide her the services she may need to fully develop and grow into the wonderful amazing person I know she is and will continue to become. I just don't want any of those special needs she might have to define her. I don't want her to ever question where she stands with others. I don't ever want her to feel like she is incapable of doing ANYTHING! I want to foster her and let her know that she can do WHATEVER it is she wants to do. I just need to accept that I might need some more people to help her get there than just her father and I. I am very glad Brooklynn has her older sister. Those two are wonderful together. They love each other completely. They play together so well. They help the other one, they accept the other one no questions asked. Izzy helps her little sister in any way she can. Brooklynn helps her older sister learn the meaning of sharing and patience. It is truly remarkable to see them interact with each other. Izzy is growing into such a wonderful little girl. She is always considerate of others. She wants to include everybody, and her sensitivity is so stellar at such a young age. The girls truly are best friends, and I love every minute that they are together. I can't help but smile and laugh and enjoy life when they are together. Even when they fight, it's because of something silly, and the fight only lasts about 2 seconds. I am so excited to see them continue to grow as sisters, and best friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment