Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The girls' Yearly Checkup

Today we had the girls' check up - Izzy's 4 year and Brooklynn's 2 year. It went really well. We met with a different doctor in the office, and I really really like her. She was very thorough. We were the first appointment in the morning, which I think helped. She spent an hour with us, and I never felt rushed which was wonderful. If you know anything about me, or us, I have been very nitpicky with the doctors, especially after everything Brooke has been through. I have a feeling this one will stick. Starting with Izzy. She looks wonderful. She is growing amazingly. She is now 42.5 inches tall (97th percentile), 37 pounds (50th percentile), her body mass index is a little under 50% which is great. Her blood pressure was wonderful 77/56. The doctor talked to her about safety things, and i was very happy that Izzy has been listening to us and could answer a lot of her questions. It is strange to have the doctor speaking directly to her and getting the answers...this is going to be a change for me :). She talked about stranger danger, riding a bike with a helmet, always being in a carseat, etc. She said she had no concerns for Izzy. She was hitting all her milestones, and looked healthy. She stated her tiredness and "my knees hurt" are probably just growing pains since she is so tall and lean. Her hemoglobin is 14.1, so that was normal. She needs her vision checked before kindergarten, and didn't need any immunizations (YAY). I still can't believe next time we will see her for a checkup, we will be preparing for kindergarten (YIKES) She spent a lot of time with us on Brooklynn, due to her complex history. I was very impressed, however because she knew a majority of the basics before she even stepped in the door. She asked about her hospitalizations, she knew she was being treated for asthma, and that we have had multiple checkups with different specialists. I was very happy because a lot of the questions I asked she answered without any prompting. Brooklynn is growing well too. She is 32.2 pounds (75%), is 35 inches (95%), and her head is 22.5 inches (unchartable). She asked how things were going with her head and her development. She was happy to see her head growth has slowed down, and that developmentally she has hit a lot of her milestones. There are some that she expressed a little concern for, but not a lot. She doesn't know at least 6 body parts (I told her it is hit or miss on the eyes, nose and mouth). She also was a little concerned about her speech. I told her she probably says 30-40 words, and says a few 2 word sentences, but I don't know if others would really be able to understand her. She wants to make a referral to hearing and speech, just to make sure her hearing is in fact good, and also to get her enrolled in speech therapy if we decide she needs it at an early age to ward off any troubles in the future. We are going to test her blood for different allergies, in hopes to find out what she is allergic to, and treating before she has any asthma attacks. She is hoping by treating the allergies, we can cut back or eliminate her need for asthma medicine. We can also be aware of what she is allergic to and be able to treat based on seasons. I showed her Brooklynn's cafe au lait spots (she has six of them). They are small in size except one, which is about an inch long, but because there were 6 she wants us to see dermatology. She says occassionally those spots can be linked with neurological problems, and so she just wants to make sure. She says since they are small she is not too worried at this time. So we will see yet another specialist at CMH...I should be very familiar with a majority of the clinics. Just a few minor other things, such as her tonsils were pretty swollen, with some drainage going on, so if we have to have tubes put back in her ears we than we should push to have those removed too. No ear infections though which is wonderful since one of her tubes have fallen out. Other than that she checked out. Now we have our cardiology appointment scheduled for tomorrow. Than we are waiting on the results from Izzy's urine screen, Brooklynn's lead, CBC, clotting workup, and allergy testing, and for the referrals to come through. I was so happy that the doctor was so thorough, but also very understanding on everything. Izzy was very at ease with her, which was wonderful. She gave some very good pointers on how to help the girls learn different behaviors, but never felt condescending which was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment