Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Motherhood

Mother's day is coming up and I just had to write a tribute to my amazing mother!! She has taught me so much about motherhood and hopefully I can follow in her footsteps and my kids will think about me the way I think about her when they become mothers.

1. Always put others first. Yes we have to take time for ourselves, but we need to have others on our hearts and minds. She never fails at being there for anybody in our family and she has always put us first above her needs! While I feel like she deserves better than that and to take more time out for herself - I have received many benefits myself from it so I can't really complain.

2. Love unconditionally, even when it hurts! My kids are my life, and I could not imagine ever loving them any more. Thinking about how I treated my mother when I was a teenager though I know I caused a lot of pain here and there - and she still loved me...even when I know it hurt her to do it! I know I am going to get it back to me when my girls are teenagers, and I am going to have to learn to grin and bear it when they are not necessarily the nicest to me...just like my mom always did.

3. Take lots of pictures!! I am slacking in this department lately, but I definitely learned from the best on this! You think you will remember but than you don't. I am already looking back on times with Isabella and see how little she used to be and how much I enjoyed watching her grow. We might have complained while those pictures were taken by my mom but we love to look at them! Thanks mom!

There are many more things I learned from my mother, but the most important one is how to love my kids - and for that I want to say thank you!! My life is so much better with my kids and if I can give them half of the love my mom gave us I will have done a great job.

And I really know the meaning of the phrase "you will understand when you are a mother someday"... Yes mom - I understand completely and fully now!! Thanks for all you have done for my kids and for Sam and I! You truly are amazing!! Love you!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Beckie for the beautiful comments, you made me cry. This is the best Mother's Day present. I am so proud of you and all my kids for all that you have accomplished in life. I can see in your eyes when you look at your two girls how wonderful a mother you truly are. Thank you with all my love, mom

    ReplyDelete