So today has not been the best day! Starting on Wednesday, both Brooklynn and Isabella starting getting coughs and congestion. I took Brooklynn in on Wednesday night since she is so little to the doctors - said that she had double ear infection, lungs sounded great, and she does have reflux. Thursday I took Isabella into the doctor - she had a bad cough, fever of 100F, runny nose - they told me she had bronchitis and started her on antibiotics. He listened to Brooklynn since she was there and her cough was getting worse and more congestion - he agreed and told me she MIGHT have RSV but her saturations were great - 98-100%, so he sent us home with antibiotics. Isabella threw up due to coughing, and she did the same thing Friday.
This morning, the more I looked at Brooklynn, the more uncomfortable I felt. By 11am, I decided she did not look that great - she was not eating that great (would wear out after 10 minutes of feeding, would need 10 minutes rest, than would eat for maybe 10 more minutes), she was VERY congested (I could not get anything out with a bulb syringe), and her cough sounded worse. She was also starting to retract - you could now see her ribs the way she was breathing. I decided to take her to urgent care. My mom went with me so Sam could stay with our still sick child Isabella for the time being (she thankfully is feeling much better - just has a cough but no fever).
Went to Children's Mercy Northland Urgent Care - they took her back to triage and hooked her up to a sat probe to test her oxygen and she was 85-93% - not where we like to see her. So I was placed back in a room where they continued to monitor her. She ended up being placed on a nasal cannula, which she would than keep her saturations to 98-100%. They did a rapid RSV which came back positive. They also weighed her - she is 3 weeks old today and is just at her birth weight - I dont' know if she gained more and dropped down due to not eating so well or what. That, along with her respiratory issues, called for admission to the hospital. So now I sit in the family waiting room taking a quick break from my poor baby girl who is inpatient at Children's Mercy South (I wish it was downtown so I could at least feel comfortable in the area). She has been on and off oxygen since being admitted - but she drops her saturations to 80's when she feeds so they are lleaving her on for now. She had to be transported by ambulance which was a weird experience. They are having to deep suction her which she absolutely HATES!! They said she has to be here until she is off oxygen and not being deep suctioned for at least 12-24 hours - so hopefully we will be able to go home by Monday.
I am so torn being here and wanting to be home with my other sick kiddo. And it is not a short drive home - it takes 45 minutes to drive one way!! I am hanging out at the hospital so that I can breastfeed Brooklynn around the clock since she does not take a bottle and I don't want her to if I can avoid it. Izzy is hanging out with grandparents this weekend - hopefully she just thinks it is another sleep over and not any big deal! I miss my oldest little girl, but I am worried about my youngest little girl!! Just giving people a little update! I will continue to update if things change!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment